The impetus of this project is to create a single unit that combines a functional cookstove with immediate heat production with an efficient firebox for prolonged masonry heat storage. We will draw from medium-sized “batch-box” development and use bypass dampers as switches to significantly alter the flow through the heater depending on the output desired. An important part of the project will be to experiment with an open-source flow for project development. This project is being developed in the context of a hands-on workshop that will be realized at the Masonry Heater Association’s 2022 Annual Meeting.
A design review of corner masonry heater designs.
An in-depth article including detailed drawings of a basic foundation strategy for masonry heaters including footing, stem wall, base slab, insulation, and rough opening specifications.
Here is a summary of recent design work showing the core of a versatile masonry heater design.
Keep up on the latest!
This article is part of the Firespeaking’s “Journal“, a regularly updated archive on innovations in Wood-Fired Heating and Cooking.
We are looking for someone to work with on improvements to our website. This person would ideally have familiarity and expertise in website design, WordPress, WooCommerce, Child Theme Development, PHP & CSS, SEO and specifically Yoast SEO.
Here is a list of things that we think needs work on our website, somewhat by priority. Toggle to see discussion for each topic. We are open to additional suggestions and opinions about implementation.
Logo Needs Adjustment
Our logo shows up cropped on mobile displays. Whatever needs doing so that it shows up right on both desktop and mobile. Logo text is also fuzzy/rasterized and we would like it to be clear. We have associated files.
Navigation Menu Styling
The hover and active page icon color needs to be changed from teal/blue to standard orange of site. This also applies to the Portfolio navigation buttons as well as the Shop hover link colors. I guess finding where the teal color is referred to in the main style sheet and making our orange color default would be ideal.
- The display of recent articles at the bottom of the main page, below Recent Projects, needs the heading “Recent Articles” and a button “View Journal” that resembles the Recent Projects Heading and View Portfolio button.
- This basic template part for “Recent Articles / View Journal” needs to be updated for all posts throughout the website.
- The “Recent Articles” template part should query from the “journal” category only, not all posts – IMPORTANT.
- Larger improvements to the main page would probably be ideal but we haven’t yet had time to think about this.
- Needs more contrast and styling.
- As a first concept, we’d like to see a light gray background behind the whole footer with black text and orange links. We might want to tweak these colors after we see it. We’d like to add a third column with newsletter sign-up and social media links. See bottom of Aveda website for an example.
- Content currently driven by a page include from WP Menu -> Theme Settings
- Improve layout and presentation of catalog
- Ideally text for Categories lines up.
- Comment out the number of products in a category.
- Many more products need to be added. We will be working on this.
- Product Pages
Google Search Result
We need help crafting our main Google Search Result.
Right now it shows:
It should show something like:
- Masonry Heaters
- Masonry Heater Hardware
- Wood-Fired Ovens
- Tulikivi Soapstone Fireplaces
We use Yoast SEO but I can’t figure out how to get this to change.
Post & Portfolio Page Styling
If you go to any sample article (like this one) or portfolio post, the navigation menu changes from the one shown on pages to a condensed one. This is confusing. We would prefer that our whole website have a unified “app” feel with the same navigation bar on the main page and shop showing on all content posts. We think we prefer the style of menu as shown on the main page which scrolls away. It could be slightly more compact on content pages.
Thank you. We look forward to hearing from you and receiving a quote for this work.
- Add Order Form Capacity:
Our new 2021 catalog is hot off the press! It includes a variety of firebox door sizes, ash doors, cleanouts, oven doors, cooktops, sliding and pivoting bypass dampers, grates, core kit components and plans. All to make masonry heater construction more familiar and accessible.
A beautiful masonry heater, built by Noel Adams, with heated benches and finished with natural plaster. Firespeaking provided design, training, a core kit and hardware for this project.
These are some common variations for basic masonry heater design. These heaters are symmetrical and show how you can choose to include an oven and benches around the main volume. Additional options include the see-through firebox which includes a door on both sides and choosing to have the oven face the opposite direction as the firebox.
What a pleasure to help a family get to know their masonry heater by making pizzas with them! We want more people to know that masonry heaters are not only the best way to heat your home with wood but also offer many options for cooking food throughout the cold months of the year!
A Rocket Mass Heater with a custom fabricated cooktop replacing the metal barrel and a long heated bench constructed for the 2016 Masonry Heater Association annual meeting.