Five Oaks Farm is a small family farm located on the Henry Wilhelm Estate that was built in 1865 and is a historic landmark. The farm is located just off the Oregon Trail and was originally 160 acres with a house, chicken coop, sheep barn, stable, and black smith. The original outhouse is still hidden in the blackberries. The apple orchard, walnut tree and grape vines continue to fruit like gifts from the pioneers who settled here over 150 years ago.
Carol and Barry knew at first sight that the wonderful and historic Victorian house with a homestead apple orchard, original barns and five towering oak trees was where they wanted to live, grow their pesto business and raise their four boys.
They hired Eva to design and build this wood fired earth oven to establish and outdoor kitchen/gathering place near the vegetable garden. The oven was created almost completely from on-site materials and by family and neighbors during a workshop Eva led in June 2009. In addition to general baking and pizza parties, they wanted this oven to bake fresh bread that they could serve along with their delicious pesto at weekly farmer’s markets: Dante’s Pesto.
Future plans for this gathering place include benches and counter tops that attach to the oven.
Thanks so much to all of the neighbors and friends that helped! The roof structure was built by Mark Lakeman.
For more photos of this project, check out Eva’s blog post….